If you are looking for the best AGP video card for gaming, this Techspirited article is aimed at helping you out with that. Presented here is a list of some…
Video Card Problems
Display problems in computers are mostly due to a fault with the video card installed. This story elaborates various problems related the video card and instructions on troubleshooting the same.
The function of a computer video card is to interpret the output demand and accordingly instruct the monitor as to exactly how many tiny dots to illuminate, so that you get the correct graphic image on the screen.
A video card is also known as a graphics card or display adapter. It acts like a highly energetic and indefatigable source of graphics to generate virtual output. It’s available in different types, depending on the formats it supports, and so it varies in cost.
Troubleshooting Your Video Card
The computer display comprises two major hardware parts ― a video card and a display device such as a monitor. The card is installed inside the CPU and is attached to the motherboard, while the display device is where you are able to see all graphics and text as displayed by the program.
In order to function with these devices, operating system takes help of drivers. Most video card problems are a result of faulty, incorrect, or missing video drivers. Other than this, it could also be due to the improper installation or any other hardware failure.
In case you have recently updated the operating system, installed or upgraded the video card, then the most probable reason for a problem is faulty or missing drivers. These drivers are installed though a CD.
Also, they can be downloaded from the display card manufacturer’s website. Diagnosing these problems is simple, because a malfunction will show signs on the computer screen, which can’t go unnoticed.
Problem : The computer screen is completely blank
- Ensure that the computer display device is switched on. There should be a light on the display device which indicates that it is receiving power supply from the CPU.
- The connectors of the video cable need to be secured and properly attached to the graphic card for certain computers.
- There should be no bent or broken pins on the video cable connector.
- Check whether the graphics card is properly installed in its slot.
Problem : The screen resolution is faulty or the display is smaller or larger than the screen size
- There may be a possibility of the screen resolution not set properly in your system. From the ‘control panel’ option, select ‘display settings’ and set the screen resolution as per your need.
- There are certain controls on the monitor which help in adjusting the position and size of display on the screen. Use them to adjust the display.
- There may be a requirement for upgrading your graphics card or installing new drivers for the same.
Problem : The display on the screen is totally unreadable
- It could be a case of the resolution or color depth not set properly. Click on ‘control panel’ and select ‘display settings’, to change or adjust resolution settings.
- You would need to update the graphic card by installing all the latest drivers.
Problem : The display flickers
- Go to ‘control panel’ and reset the ‘refresh rate’ for the display. A refresh rate which is not supported by the system can lead to this problem.
Problem : Colors appear unnatural and different
- It could be a case of the color depth not set properly, which can be reset by selecting the ‘display settings’ option from ‘control panel’.
- This could also be an indication to update the card by installing all the latest drivers.
Problem : The screen makes a squealing noise
- The fan responsible for cooling the graphic card may need cleaning, as most cards come with fans which cannot be replaced.
Troubleshooting your video card using these instructions should help solve your problem. Since the root cause of most of these problems is a faulty card or lack of necessary drivers, regularly upgrading it should help in keeping most problems at bay. In case the solutions provided do not solve your purpose, get your computer repaired from a professional.