Video games have come a long way, with features and functions that were never thought of. Let's know more on the evolution of video games.
Pros and Cons of Video Games
Playing video games sure is fun, but the grass is not green on the other side. This article will try to help you understand some of the important pros and cons of video games.
The very name of vide games fills my heart with excitement and thrill. What else can a child want when he has got his favorite games to spend his weekends with, away from school and homework. The guy who created this fun stuff sure knew what a child wants to play with. I am sure Santa must be having a whole lot of letters mentioning different video games every Christmas. And the great thing is that with advances in technology and innovation, these games are not only a favorite with kids, but can also keep adults glued to their couch. The bottom line is that video games are fun and undoubtedly challenging. But, as many things in this world, they have their share of disadvantages as well.
- One of the most important and scientifically proven benefits of playing video games is associated with the improved ability of problem solving and logical skills. Adventure games, puzzles, riddles, and similar types of games trigger the brain to think unusually and come up with out-of-the-box ideas.
- Another benefit is enhanced levels of hand-eye coordination. Certain medical journals have stated it as a fact that surgeons who indulge in playing video games are less susceptible to commit errors than those who don’t. One fine example of such games is about guiding a crow through dark narrow passages, which are supposedly in Hell. Anyone who can complete the task at one go can easily be considered to have exceptional hand-eye coordination.
- Games that are packed with action help in improving concentration in children.
- Video games nowadays are not only about playtime, but are doing well in the field of education as well. How would you feel about learning mathematics if you realize that you are not studying but playing with numbers? It has been surveyed that kids learn more and learn quickly if they are taught with the help of video games.
- Reportedly, these games help in the treatment of kids with attention deficit disorders.
- Creativity makes life beautiful, and one of the fun ways to boost this quality, not only in kids but also in adults, is getting into video games.
- Nowadays, virtual pet games are gaining popularity. These are designed to help beginners to know the intricacies in raising a pet, thereby instilling a sense of responsibility.
- The greatest drawback is the risk of addiction. While these games do increase cognitive powers, they tend to make children neglect their studies, and keep them from eating properly and getting enough exercise.
- Certain studies have shown that most violence-packed games tend to induce violent behavior in kids, as they somehow become blind to the difference between real life and games on TV/computer. Such kids fail to understand that reality and the situations presented in video games do not go along.
- At one point, the addiction to such games becomes so intense that people start neglecting the importance of social life. They begin to isolate themselves from the company of other people and become increasingly involved in these games.
Excess of anything, no matter how fun or beneficial it might be, has no other end except becoming a concern. And this stands true for video games too. So, always make a conscious effort to know when to play and when not to. Remember, balance is the key!