The Walkman, for the first time, brought portability to music. Here's information about the working of this device.
How Headphones Work
Has using headphones made you think about their working? To know how headphones work, read on.
When you want to listen to music and the others don’t, the easiest way out is to plug in headphones! When you want to personalize your experience of listening to music, the best option is to get hold of your headphones and tune in to your favorite music! Here’s information on how headphones work.
- Headphones are a pair of small loudspeakers or transducers that receive electrical signals from a media player and convert them into sound waves.
- Speakers of the headphones convert the electrical signals into sound waves.
- On one end, the headphones are connected to an audio-frequency signal source. They are held close to the listener’s ears so that his/her listening experience is maximized.
- There are different methods that headphone transducers implement to reproduce sound.
- In the electrostatic method of sound reproduction, an electrical signal is applied to electrodes. It creates an electric field and the diaphragm in the headphones moves towards one of the plates. The air traveling through perforations and the changing electrical signal result in the production of a sound wave.
- Headphones may have a balanced-nature armature, which is a transducer that increases electrical efficiency by removing stress on the diaphragm.
- Certain headphones have orthodynamic drivers that consist of fine aluminum discs acting as the diaphragm.
There are different types of headphones, varying in size and style.
- Circumaural headphones have circular ear pads and are used in the recording studios.
- Earbuds are smaller in size and can be placed outside the ear canal.
- Canalphones can be inserted directly into the ear canals.
- Closed-ear headphones filter external interferences and are believed to offer a better listening experience.
- Noise-canceling headphones are supposed to provide the users with a refined sound quality, as they cancel ambient noise frequencies from the sound waves produced.
- Cordless headphones are becoming popular as they allow for mobility of the user, and do not require to be physically connected to a music player.
This discussion must have helped you choose the right pair of headphones to best suit your needs. So what are you waiting for? Buy them, today!