This article will tell you how to hard reset your iPod, irrespective of which model and which generation you own.
Once you learn to hard reset an iPod, you can fix many common problems that people face from time to time, like a frozen iPod not responding to any touch. This is a fairly simple task that requires you to hold down a combination of buttons till an Apple logo appears on the screen. The process of hard resetting differs from model to model, and with each new generations of Apple iPods that come out, this procedure changes a little bit.
You must remember that when you carry out a hard reset all the music and other files on the device will not be lost. This includes playlists you have made, bookmarks you have marked and the date and time settings as well (unless the battery has run out completely). What you may lose though are some settings, and these can be reset by you once the iPod switches back on. There are certain settings and parameters that will go back to the factory default once you carry out a hard reset.
How to Hard Reset iPod Nano?
The newest model of the iPod Nano (the sixth generation) has been revamped completely, and we will talk about hard reset for the newest model and the older models as well. The older models all have the distinctive iPod click wheel on them, and these instructions will be applicable for all the older models. In fact, even the iPod Classic (which has a click wheel) can be hard reset in this manner.
- Toggle the Hold switch from Off, to Hold and then back to Off again.
- Now press the Menu button and the center button (at the middle of the click wheel) down together for about 10 seconds.
- Keep these buttons pressed together until you see an Apple logo on the screen.
- If the logo does not appear, try the procedure 2 – 3 times more.
- If it still does not work, connect the iPod to a computer, and then follow the same instructions again.
- Some older models will require you to press the Play/Pause button along with the Menu button in order to carry out hard reset.
If you own the new iPod Nano, you will know that it does not have the click wheel anymore. What you need to do here is press the Sleep/Wake button and the Volume Down button simultaneously till the Apple logo appears on the screen. Again, you may need to try the procedure a few more times before it works, and you can even try connecting it to a computer and then hard resetting it if the instructions still do not work.
How to Hard Reset iPod Shuffle?
The iPod Shuffle is one of the smallest MP3 players that you will find in the market today, and it is a true marvel of technology. Carrying out hard reset on iPod Shuffle is a very simple task. Here are the steps for the same.
- Ensure that the iPod is NOT connected to a computer or any power source.
- Turn off the switch so that the green part is not visible.
- Wait for 5 – 10 seconds, and then switch it back on.
- Note that the earphones should not be connected while you are carrying this out.
- Repeat if necessary.
How to Hard Reset iPod Touch?
The iPod Touch is a great gadget to own, and it showcases the best technology that Apple Inc. has to offer. The new Apple iPod Touch 4G is so slim that it feels like a simple glass slab when you hold it in your hands, and its features are absolutely stunning. But this advanced piece of technology naturally faces some problems from time to time.
All you need to do is press the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button together till the Apple logo appears on the screen. You can attempt the process again if it does not work at first, and then you can even try the process after connecting the device to a computer. There are a number of iPod Touch problems with apps and other iPod Touch problems and solutions that can be solved with the help of these hard reset instructions.
Knowing how to hard reset an iPod is an important skill that can solve many iPod problems for you in the future. Like all consumer electronics devices, the iPod also faces occasional trouble from time to time, and sometimes hard resetting it can be the only solution.