The latest addition to the Pokemon series by Game Freak, Pokemon Black and White editions are perhaps the biggest. With 156 new Pokemon, getting 'em all is now tougher than…
How to Get a Shiny Kyogre in the Pokémon Sapphire Game
A true Pokémon master doesn’t stop till he catches them all. In Sapphire, we play in the Hoenn region. While the graphics are pretty amazing, there are some rare Pokémon in the game. Have you caught all of them? Not all the shiny ones, I bet. This article tells you how to get a shiny Kyogre in the Pokémon Sapphire game, to complete your collection.
Did You Know?
Pokémon Sapphire was remade for the Nintendo 3DS titled Pokémon Alpha Sapphire.
Everyone had their childhood cartoons. Some relish seeing Dee Dee annoy his brother Dexter, while others enjoyed seeing Popeye beat up Bluto by eating spinach. While all of them provided entertainment and invoked nostalgia, there’s one which still enjoys the popularity of children and adults alike. It’s none other than Pokémon.
We have enjoyed spending time watching these strange creatures play with their partners, enjoying the holidays and wreaking havoc when things come to a boil. More than Pokémon, we have enjoyed Ash’s journey as he changed with every different creature he met, slowly evolving from a guy who uses these creatures for his sole benefit of being Pokémon Champion, to someone who understood their needs and cared for them deeply.
Pokémon started out with first-generation versions such as Red and Blue. Yellow was released a year later, based on the anime Pokémon, with Pikachu following Ash and fighting battles alongside him. In Pokémon Crystal, you start in the Johto region and get to battle, train and collect over 251 Pokémon. The third generation of Pokémon games consisting of Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald introduced us to 135 new Pokémon, starting with Treecko and ending with Deoxys, and getting it to a total of 386 Pokémon. It takes place in the Hoenn region, where you battle Team Aqua to stop its plans to raise the water plans with the help of the legendary Pokémon, Kyogre. But for game enthusiasts who have caught it all, how do you capture a shiny Kyogre, which is rare in appearance?
What is a Kyogre?
A Kyogre is a legendary water-type Pokémon found in Sapphire. It normally resides in the depths of the sea, but was called to the surface due to the machinations of Team Aqua. It is part of the legendary weather trio of Groudon, a ground-type Pokémon who controls the Earth and Rayquaza, the sky-dragon type Pokémon. Kyogre is known for creating high tides and tsunamis. It has a long-standing rivalry with Groudon. It made the ocean its home after its lengthy battle with Groudon.
A shiny Kyogre emits a purplish-hue when you encounter it. Save your data before you enter this battle. It will also be shiny if there’s a red star in the corner of the picture.
How to Catch a Shiny Kyogre in Sapphire
- Head to Sootopolis City and stock up on Healing Potions, before you head to the cave. Also buy extra Ultra Balls and Timer Balls.
- Level up your Pokémon to 40 and above. Heal them to full health.
- Go to Sootopolis City. Head to the Cave of Origin, situated to the north of Sootopolis City.
- Explore the cave until you find Kyogre sitting in the middle waiting for you.
- Save your game before approaching Kyogre.
- Approach Kyogre and press the action button. The Blue Orb item in your backpack will be glowing when you approach him.
- Use a grass type Pokémon that can use Sleep Powder to put him to sleep, or an electric type Pokémon to paralyze him.
- Use a Pokémon with False Swipe, which lowers the HP to 1.
- Your point is to weaken him and not defeat him. Lower his energy till it’s red, and start throwing Ultra Balls at him. If that doesn’t work, throw Timer Balls at him. It will only work after 30 turns.
- If Kyogre faints, then reset the game using a soft reset by pressing ‘Select’, ‘Start’, ‘A’, and ‘B’ at the same time.
- Repeat steps 4 – 10 till you capture him.
Hatch a Shiny Pokémon
If you can’t catch a shiny Pokémon, then you can hatch it by breeding it. Fans called it the Masuda method, named after the director of Game Freak, Junichi Masuda, for increasing the chances of hatching a shiny Pokémon.
If you breed Pokémon who come from a different country’s version, then the chances of it being a shiny Pokémon is more. Breeding a Pokémon from a North American cartridge with a Pokémon from a European cartridge gives it a slight chance of it being shiny, since 0.04% eggs created with this method will be shiny. Kyogre can’t be bred, but you do have a chance to hatch other shiny Pokémon.
People who usually play Pokémon just beat the gym leaders, and they are happy. But for pros, it’s similar to training their Pokémon for the main event. Beating the Elite Four, becoming Pokémon League Champion, and the game gathers dust. But for true Pokémon fans, finding new Pokémon, leveling them up, and catching all the legendary Pokémon, gives you the true adrenaline rush. If you loved Sapphire, be sure to play Emerald, ’cause it has the legendary weather trio of Groudon, Rayquaza, and Kyogre in the game. If you are done playing Emerald, buy Pokémon Black and White; it’ll give you the same rush.