A form of artistic expression and a sign of rebellion, graffiti has been around for some time now. If you have always wanted to recreate a digital form of this art form or add graffiti to an existing image, then you may want to draw graffiti in Photoshop.
If you trace the history of graffiti, then you will learn that this form of lettering that is now recognized as an art form has been around since the times of the Ancient Greek and Roman Empire. Of course, over time, especially till recently graffiti was often considered an act of vandalism used to deface public property. Today, graffiti is an accepted part of pop culture and is synonymous with a slightly underground lifestyle. Graffiti lettering has become a very popular design element in recent times and several people have started making use of this design in their artistic works. While you can learn to draw this graffiti, it is also possible to make the same in Photoshop and superimpose it on a pre-existing image.
Creating Graffiti in Photoshop
Adobe Photoshop is a photo editing software that most of us are at least slightly familiar with. Most popularly this editing software is used to retouch photographs that are printed in magazines and print ads. But, it is completely possible to use Photoshop to draw graffiti. The software has several painting and drawing tools which in combination can be used to create different graphics. Creating graffiti in Photoshop is not very difficult and once you have decided on which graffiti style you want to recreate, you can easily do so.
- Firstly you will need to choose the background image that you will be working with. You can either choose an image that is already present on your computer or upload an image that you have clicked. We suggest that you use an image with a brick like texture as it seems more authentic.
- The next step in the process of creating graffiti is to open a new file on Photoshop. To do this, open the software and select the option for File and then click on New to open a new file. You can also import the image that you have uploaded for the background.
- If you are creating a new file, then you will need to specify the width and height of the image. Remember to set the mode of the image to RGB and the option for Content to White. Once you have selected all the right options, you can click on OK.
- Next, you will start with the process of creating the graffiti. You will need to click on the icon for New Layer in the Layers palette. This palette appears on the right side of the screen. Always remember to rename the layers that you open so as to make it easier for you to navigate.
- Next, go to the Tools palette on the left hand side of the screen and choose the Pencil tool. The Pencil tool and the Paintbrush tool are interchangeable so if you cannot find one, then just click on the visible tool and choose the tool that you want.
- Once you have chosen the Pencil tool, you will need to choose the exact option that you want for the texture of the lettering. We suggest using a splatter brush that will make the graffiti look like it has been spray painted.
- Next, you need to actually write the text that you want for the graffiti. Click on the option for Color Picker, choose a color and then click on OK. You will need to click on the layers palette and drag the mouse so that you can type in the phrase that you want.
- Now, open a new layer in the palette and rename the same. Choose a different color and a different brush to make another graffiti design so that you can see the difference that is created by color and brush.
- Once you have made a design that you are pleased with, you can save the file.
This is just one of the methods that you can use to create a graffiti like image in Photoshop. While selecting a font for the graffiti text, remember to always use a font type that matches the style of graffiti. Learning to draw graffiti in Photoshop is easy and as you become more familiar and proficient with the software, you will get better at the creating artwork using it.