Trying to convert a PDF file to a Microsoft Word document? Techspirited comes to your rescue. Take a look at some simple ways to execute this conversion.
Converting to Other Formats
A lot of popular software (mostly paid) allow a user to convert PDF files to formats other than Word. Some of these include Powerpoint, Excel, HTML, or even to simple text formats.
In majority of the cases, this type of file conversion is required when one wishes to edit or modify the contents of a ‘read-only’ PDF file. PDF stands for Portable Document Format, and is nothing but an electronic image of content (text and/or graphic) which can only be viewed or reproduced as is. Editing a PDF file isn’t possible unless one converts it into an editable file format like .doc (Word document).
Another possibility where such a conversion is required is when one needs to convert several hard copies of documents to editable soft copies, without retyping the entire document/s. In such a case, the documents have to be scanned and saved to a PDF format before converting them to a Word document. However, there are certain software which can directly convert the scanned image to a Word or text file.
Let’s explore some possible options that would help perform such a conversion in an easy and quick manner.
How to Convert a PDF File to a Word File on Macintosh
Use a PDF Conversion Software
- The simplest method is to download a licensed copy of a conversion software. In case you wish to convert scanned documents, consider looking for an optical character recognition feature in the software. An OCR would aid to a more precise conversion process and try to maintain much of the document’s formatting. Alternately, you could also download a free trial of the software before purchasing a licensed copy.
- You could check out Wondershare. This is one of the best software to convert PDF to Word on Mac OS X.
- Once you have downloaded the software, you’ll need to install it. Launch the setup file of the software and follow the on-screen instructions to install it.
- Next, launch the installed software from the desktop. Most software prompt the user to select an image file source on the welcome screen itself. You could import an existing PDF file from your computer or could mention a connected scanner as the image source.
- Popular software allow you to edit PDFs, annotate and mark-up, as well as sign them before converting them to a Word document which is really useful and time-saving. You could edit or make other changes to the file, if your preferred software allows it.
- Once you’re done editing the file, choose to convert it to a word document. OCR conversions take longer time than simple PDF to Word conversions; this is because OCRs go through each and every character in the file, and perform more of a micro-level conversion. Be patient and let the software take its time.
- After the file is converted, you’ll get an editable word document. Save it in your desired location. Your conversion is done!
Using Adobe Acrobat
- A second option could be using the Adobe Acrobat software, in case you own a license. Using Acrobat is the most convenient way to convert PDFs to documents.
- To convert using Acrobat, launch it and open the file you wish to convert.
- Once opened, open the file menu located on the menu bar at the top and select ‘Save as Other…’.
- Next, you’ll get the list of formats to which the file can be converted. Select ‘Microsoft Word’. Then select the word file type .doc or .docx.
- Enter a name for the resulting file and hit ‘Save’. The file would be saved as a Microsoft Word document.
Free Online Conversion
- This method is beneficial if you wish to convert files occasionally, and don’t frequently require to convert. To achieve an online conversion follow the steps below.
- Visit PDF Online or Zamzar. Likewise you can search the Internet for similar websites that provide online conversion services. A lot of these services are completely free.
- Once you are on the website, you’ll have to upload the PDF file on it. Browse for the file you wish to convert, attach it and follow the on-screen instructions to convert. Some software would offer a direct download option, whereas some would email the file to your inbox.
- Online conversion is almost instantaneous and doesn’t require much waiting. However, don’t expect the results to be very precise and detailed. These software as per our research aren’t ideal for files with complex formatting; they would only work well to the extent of retaining the text.
The method of conversion completely depends on the nature of your needs. If you have recurring jobs which demand extensive conversion of PDFs to Word documents you should prefer using a professional software than resorting to free online conversion methods. On the contrary, if you simply require to convert one or two files, you could opt for the free online software and hope for the best.