In our attempt to analyze how has technology changed our lives, we need to consider the way it has been used. Let us know how technological developments have shaped our lives over the decades.
“I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.”
― Albert Einstein
The way technology has impacted our lives is evident in every walk of life. Human mind has achieved everything by the power of imagination. It is by the virtue of imagination that man has ushered in an age dominated by revolutionary technological developments. From the day of landing on the moon to that of a trip to Mars; from the introduction of Microsoft Windows to the inception of 3G and 4G technologies; from tape recorders to Apple iPods; from rarely available landline telephones to abundantly available breed of smartphones, QWERTY phones, and iPhones; from the origin of world wide web to web 2.0 and web 3.0 technologies; from revolutionary Internet search engines to addictive social networking websites; from blogging forums to Internet shopping; technological developments have impacted our lives in such a way, that it is next to impossible to imagine this world without their presence. While these developments have made life amazingly easier, simpler, and anything is just a mouse’s click away, it has brought several negative health impacts, psychological problems, and stress in daily life.
How Has Technology Changed Our Society
“The real problem is not whether machines think, but whether men do.”
― B. F. Skinner, American psychologist, author, inventor, and social philosopher.
Obviously, development of technology in the 1970s has led to a far better, comfortable, and easier life for people in this century. However, on the flip side, it has equally created innumerable problems. Mostly, these problems have stemmed from the misuse of technology. As BF Skinner stresses, it is the human mind that has developed these technologies. Hence, it depends on us, how we use them: for our peril, or to our advantage. There are three broad areas in our society, that have been impacted by technological changes.
Internet technology has changed our life in numerous ways, and it is difficult to keep a count on them. Global trade and business has become faster, easier, and more reliable in the last fifty years.
- It is easier to book flights, railway tickets, and bus tickets from the comforts of our home.
- Banks and financial institutions also have introduced online systems, and these have made our lives easier. Bill payment and account-related work is easily managed online. Now, one doesn’t need to go to a bank, wait in a line for a long time, and then deposit money. The ATM technology has made it possible to withdraw money during anytime of the day.
- In today’s world, it is impossible for any small or large businesses to thrive without a web presence. You may be a stay-at-home mom or an entrepreneur, the success of your business model can be guaranteed to a large extent, if you’re able to use the Internet to your advantage. Google Adwords and Google Adsense have made online advertising the greatest growing business.
- Be it local shops, restaurants, shopping malls, or retail stores, almost every place has been well managed with the help of technological growth.
Businesses have become faster and more challenging, thereby increasing competition in every field. The impact of technology on business has been phenomenal, and in this era, information and knowledge have become commodities.
The impact of technology on education is a classic example of the way our lives have changed. Our forefathers never got the opportunity to study in interactive classrooms with 3D images and projectors, and they did not have an access to the Internet and various other technological facilities.
- Computers, PowerPoint presentations, and the Internet, have given teaching an altogether different dimension. Education has become computer-dominated in this era, and it has gone beyond notebooks and blackboards.
- Computer education has become an integral part of college education across the globe, as it is the key to make the students competent enough to meet the industry requirements.
- In the recent years, online education and distance learning courses have changed the way of gaining knowledge. Now, it is not very important to be present in classrooms to hear a lecture or understand some intricate concept.
- This doesn’t mean that student-teacher interaction has been replaced by technological developments. It means that audiences and students who’re located in different nations, can easily get access to any lecture being conducted in one location through video conferencing.
Many websites too promote online tutoring, so if someone has an Internet access, it is easy to grasp a concept.
If you go through the list of latest developments in technology, you will find that most of them have revolutionized the way we communicate.
- Social networking websites are the order of day. Websites like Facebook and Twitter have given birth to the concept of social media marketing.
- Business networking to personal online dating, communication was never so fast and easy in any century, as it is now. Meeting new people online has given way to the billion dollar industry of dating.
- Latest gadgets and gizmos have become a part and parcel of life. No matter where we are, or what we’re doing, it has become possible to contact our loved ones at any time of the day.
In the last couple of decades, communication has become amazingly faster, thanks to the Internet. It brought email and chatting facilities. Instead of sending letters to their respective destinations, it is easier to send a mail to your loved ones, or talk to them through video calls.
In seeking answers to the issue on technology demerits, we look at some of the negative aspects of technology. With threats of Internet scams increasing everyday, and cyber security becoming a global issue, governments of all countries are trying hard to make rules and laws regarding cyber access. Moreover, lifestyle habits have changed drastically. Nowadays, psychologists are frequently using the term, Internet addiction to address certain issues in the lives of people who’re constantly glued to their computers. So, if we have to comment how our lives have been changed by technology, the answer is that it has given us the power to make a difference in our lives by using it wisely. It depends on us, how we use it and benefit from it instead of getting addicted to it.