If you’re still uncertain about how iTunes works, here’s what you need to do. When you read the following article, you will have know what goes into making iTunes actually run like a smooth, well-oiled machine.
In order to play, listen, organize, save, and download your songs and video files, Apple has a program called iTunes which can be downloaded onto your laptop or desktop.
iTunes is a free program designed to create music and video libraries of your existing files. You can also purchase music, videos, TV shows, games, etc. from iTunes Store and managage them on your laptop/desktop, iPod, iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad. This can be possible when you transfer your files through these devices.
iTunes is one of the most popular digital media players used across the world. iTunes made its debut in the year 2001. Operating systems like Mac and Windows XP and Vista support iTunes application. The latest version, iTunes 10.5.3, was released in June 2011. The current version of iTunes has the capability to support the Mp3, WAV, ACC, AIFF audio video formats, along with Apple Lossless (a high quality format developed by Apple). The other recent versions can also support file formats which are video coded in QuickTime MOV format and MPEG-4.
What’s New with iTunes
In this iTunes version, your purchased music will be automatically downloaded on your laptop and/or device (iPad, iPod, iPod touch, or iPhone). Also, there will be a copy (which is again automatically downloaded) on your Mac or iOS devices. Isn’t that awesome?! And as far as your previously purchased music is concerned, you can download them once again without having to pay extra. It’s free! Just as long as your previous purchases are available on iTunes Stores, you can easily download them with the latest version. Apart from music, you can also download apps, movies, music videos, audiobooks, ringtones, iPod games, TV shows, and books (new and previously downloaded) onto your devices. As for your previously purchased apps and books, you can download them from your laptop or iOS device.
How to Use iTunes
- In order to use Apple iTunes, first of all, you need to download the latest software version from the Apple Inc. website.
- You cannot begin the task unless and until you have iTunes on your laptop. Install the latest version onto your hard drive and the program will begin.
- The download, even from the company’s site is free. After installation, the program will scan the hard drive in order to locate music and video files which you may have saved onto your PC/laptop.
- iTunes automatically complies these files in a library which can be easily searched by you, later on. You can perform a search by artist, title of the song, year, specific album, or any other criteria.
- If you wish, you can personalize the library and create your own playlists according to your choice. Depending on which files of songs and videos you wish to keep in each playlist, you can manage the library, in the order you prefer.
- You can save, edit, and burn CDs and DVDs, or sync any of the playlists whenever you feel like.
- In order to know how iTunes works so that you can make your own CDs and DVDs, all you need is an Apple iPod, iPod touch, iPhone, or even an iPad for it.
How to Get More Music
One of the coolest things about iTunes is that it lets you rip physical CDs onto your library. The program can also track down song titles via a search from an active Internet connection. But let’s say you’re not online, or for some reason can’t find the info you’re looking for, you can manually add it yourself.
While buying music online, you can directly log on to the iTunes store. For that, you will require a valid credit card and good Internet connection. This will conveniently help you set up an account with them. Once the account is activated and running properly, you can find new songs, albums, and videos you want by either artist or song search criteria.Click on the “Buy Now” button and you can have any song you want. Most of the songs available on iTunes store are about 99 cents only, however the new releases and older, classic albums can cost more at times. Also, don’t be under this impression that you can find all the songs on iTunes store. Artists and bands, AC/DC, The Smiths (apart from their Greatest Hits 2008 album), Def Leppard, Black Sabbath, Jay-Z, Frank Zappa, Garth Brooks, Tool, and Kid Rock don’t allow their albums to be sold through iTunes.
As we discussed earlier, iTunes can now support QuickTime MOV format, MP3, WAV, ACC, AIFF audio video formats, MPEG-4 or Mp4, you can download songs from other websites as well. I hope the explanation in this article has given you a good insight about what goes on behind making iTunes work properly. The online iTunes store has a huge collection of songs and videos which is protected by Digital Rights Management (DRM). All the files are encoded by it and it can limit the number of PCs that can play music and videos. So make sure have enough information about DRM, as it can affect how you use the files which you’ve bought from the iTunes store.