With the launch of much-anticipated phones like the OnePlus 5 and iPhone 8, things have definitely changed a lot over the period of the last few months. Some of them said that they will be iPhone killers. Let’s find out more about them …
Nowadays, smartphones are used for a lot more than merely talking or sending text messages. They double up as music players, Internet platforms, digital cameras, personal digital assistants, gaming platforms…. and so on. Such has been the impact of these devices that the manufacturers are left with no option, but to roll out new models or upgraded versions every year. So, let’s have a look at best smartphones for 2018.
Best Smartphones Available in the Market
With so many options to choose from, it isn’t surprising that you, as the end consumer, are spoiled for choice. In such circumstances, a smartphone guide which shortlists some of the best phones available in the market, and puts forth their specifications and features for you to compare, can be of a great help.
Samsung launched two of the best smartphones this year, which are worth every penny- Galaxy Note 8 and Galaxy S8. They both have similar but outstanding features that cannot be overlooked. Some of the features are-
- Octa-core processor
- Expandable memory up to 256 GB
- Android Nougat
- Rear 12 MP dual & 8 MP front camera
- Fingerprint & iris scanner
- Quick charging
They mainly differ in RAM and battery. Note 8 comes with 6GB RAM and a 3300 mAh battery whereas S8 has 4GB RAM and 3000 mAh battery.
Samsung Galaxy note 8 was released on 15th September 2017 and is ruling the market. Its pricier than Galaxy S8, but it provides infinity display (edge-to-edge display), which gives you the whole scene to enjoy videos and gaming.
People love the Galaxy S8 too, which comes with all the good stuff packed in a single smartphone. But let’s be a critic and talk about the cons. It is expensive and its large screen is a little irritating for people with small hands. The fingerprint scanner is off-centered and face recognition does not work so well. However, we need to give some credit to the awesome Bixby- Samsung’s new virtual assistant like Siri and Google assistant.
So, to sum this all up, Galaxy S8 and Note 8, any of these Samsung smartphones can be a great choice.
OnePlus 5 and 5T
Two words: “Super-slick performance!”
If you’re not willing to pay a large sum, but still want the best features, OnePlus 5 is exactly what you want.
- Screen Size- 5.5″ (1080p resolution)
- Storage- up to128 GB (No microSD card slot)
- Rear Camera- 16 MP (wide angle) & 20 MP (Telephoto)
- Front Camera- 16 MP
- CPU- Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 (Octa-core), up to 8 GB RAM
- OS Version- Oxygen OS based on Android 7.1.1 (Nougat)
- Battery- 3300 mAh
- Colors- Midnight Black / Slate Gray/ Soft Gold
Three years ago, people were busy with only one thing- OnePlus invites! And now, OnePlus has become a gigantic flagship killer! This year they came out with the OnePlus 5 and it iss exactly what is expected from any smartphone. The picture quality, the price, the processor, the slim design, DND gaming mode; everything is just perfect! The only unfavorable factor is, it still has a 1080p display and it isn’t waterproof. Some people also demand a slot for external memory, but the phone provides a choice between 64 GB and 128 GB.
OnePlus 5T launched was in November, and it fixed some of the drawbacks of OnePlus 5. Just adding T to previous model they made it cooler, smarter, bigger, and again cooler! The phone comes with 6″ display, improved rear camera (giving iPhone X a tough competition), back fingerprint scanner, few software additions, and the best part is, it has the same price as OnePlus 5.
iPhone lovers, gather around! This year you got not only one, but two fabulous smartphones from Apple: iPhone 8 and iPhone X. Both smartphones give great performance, but as iPhone X is the better choice, let’s see its specifications:
- Screen Size- 5.8″ OLED Multi-Touch display
- Storage- Up to 256 GB
- Rear Camera- 12 MP (both wide angle & telephoto), Portrait mode
- TrueDepth Camera- 7 MP (Face-ID)
- CPU- Hexa core
- OS Version- iOS V11
- Battery- 2716 mAh (Wireless charging)
- Colors- Space Gray/ Silver
In last iPhone launch, they said goodbye to the headphone jack, and this year to their precious “Home” button! That’s right! This is exactly what iPhone needed, a different look! We all know about the general specifications, we’ll talk about some new and cool features-
- Face ID: It seems at first the new feature is limited for security purposes, but it’s much more than that. You can pay bills using this Face ID also. Another cool feature it added is- Animoji. You can send talking Emojis to other iPhone users now. It doesn’t matter if they don’t have an iPhone X. They still can see the Animoji but can’t reciprocate.
- Portrait mode: iPhone added a new feature to its camera so you can give the pictures a portrait look. It can adjust the lighting, cut the person entirely and paste the person somewhere else on a different background. With its TrueDepth front camera, iPhone has the best selfie camera in the market.
Google Pixel 2XL
Google came with a new smartphone this year, and without wasting any time, let’s go directly to its specifications-
- Screen Size- 6.0″ (1440×2880 resolution)
- Storage- Up to 128 GB
- Rear Camera- 12.3 MP
- Front Camera- 8 MP
- CPU- Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 (Octa-core), 4GB RAM
- OS Version- Android 8.0.1 (Oreo)
- Battery- 3520 mAh
- Colors- Black/ Black & White
This mobile gives top-notch picture quality, which is close to a DSLR and that’s why people loved it. The company removed the headphone jack. The phone is a bit costly, but it’s definitely a value for money smartphone.
LG made a combo of two of their smartphones- LG V20 & LG G6, and it has the best video recording capabilities. Kudos to LG for making this much lightweight phone (163 g) with the size of 6 inches. Here are its key specifications-
- Storage- 64 GB plus slot for microSD
- Rear Camera- 16 MP (Standard Angle) & 13 MP (Wide Angle)
- Front Camera- 5 MP
- CPU- Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 (Octa-core), 4 GB RAM
- OS- Android 7.1.2 (Nougat)
- Battery- 3300 mAh (Non-removable)
You may also love to see this
So many smartphones released this year and it’s hard to put ranking to them as everyone’s priorities are different. So here are some options that you must check out before buying any phone-
- Lenovo K8 plus
- HTC U11 plus
- Honor 8 pro
- Sony Xperia XZ Premium
- LG G6
- Nokia 9
- BlackBerry KeyOne
While all these features give a hint that the end user is in for a treat in the months to come, one cannot deny the fact that the choice is going to become even more difficult.