Are you trying to develop your child’s interest in ornithology? If yes, then it is important that you invest in a good pair of binoculars that will be appropriate for his interests.
All of us are familiar with the instrument known as binoculars which are used to view objects at a distance more clearly. Made of a pair of identical telescopes aligned so that they point in the same direction, they are designed in a manner that allows them to be held using both our hands.
Of course, there are variations to the design which result in binoculars being used as opera glasses and being mounted on a pedestal. The latter variety are used on several ship decks to view land masses at a distance. Because they allow you to view a three dimensional image, they are used largely for activities like bird watching.
If you are starting your child on a hobby such as this, then it is important that you choose a good instrument which is suitable for them. But how do you make a decision? What are the things you need to keep in mind? In this article we give you all the information you need in order to buy a pair of binoculars suitable for your kid.
How to Choose
Binoculars are a great gift for a child as they can be a lot of fun and can be extremely fascinating for kids. Also since they are so easy to use, they will only encourage their natural inquisitiveness and their love for the outdoors. There is huge variety that you can select from depending on the age of the child and the activities that they will indulge in.
Some of the main things that you need to keep in mind while choosing binoculars is ensuring that they are durable and constructed well. Since you are buying them for kids, it is also important to ensure that the lenses are scratch proof.
- The most important thing to keep in mind is the age of the child and the use that they will be put to. If the kid is an aspiring naturalist, then it may be a good idea for you to check out the best instrument for bird watching for kids.
- If the kid is very young, then scourge the market for binoculars specifically made for younger children. Check which are the best compact versions which have folding features and are perfect to be held in small hands.
- With younger kids it is ideal to buy auto focus binoculars so that their interest is held, and for older children it may be a good idea to choose those that have a simple center focus.
- The best instrument for birding are those that have a large field of view and huge objective lenses. A sporting partisan on the other hand should be satisfied with a model that has low magnification and objective lenses in comparison. Generally an ideal pair should have a magnification of 7x – 9x.
- Ensure that the power of the binoculars is not very high as it may become difficult for the child to ensure that the view remains stable.
- They should not be very heavy and should be generally streamlined as if they are very heavy, it can cause an unsteady hand which can ruin the view.
- Refrain from buying cheap instruments as most of these may not be safe to use, and may do nothing to retain a child’s interest in activities like bird watching.
These are just a few tips that you should keep in mind while choosing binoculars for kids. It is also important that you explain to them how the instrument works. This will enable them to use the instrument better. As the kids grow older, and if their interest has not waned, you can trade the binoculars they own for better versions.