Multiple files can be stored in a single zipped file. It also reduces the total combined size of the files. If you want to learn how to open a zip…
6 Ways to Open a .WPD File
A WPD file is a document generated in WordPerfect word processing software. If you are using this file format, then read through this Techspirited article to find ways to open it on various platforms such as Windows, Mac, and Android.
Corel’s WordPerfect was preferred over MS WordStar on most DOS systems.
WordPerfect is a word processing software created originally by Satellite Systems International (SSI). It was first purchased by Novell, which later sold it to Corel in 1996. Since then, it has been sold as a part of Corel’s desktop publishing software, Ventura.
Before MS Office became famous, WordPerfect was very popular among computer geeks and typists who graduated to using the computer keyboard. The reason for its popularity is that it was the first to use macro functions to store keyboard shortcuts and had a flat file database system to store and record data. It was the first to offer keyboard shortcuts in conjunction with Ctrl, Alt, and Shift. It introduced printer drivers with an option for customization that printed specific pages according to design. It offered high-tech support for legal documents with the Reveal Codes feature to highlight any hidden data.
A WPD file is a WordPerfect document which has a .wpd extension. The earlier files had extensions of .wp, .wp7, .wp6, .wp5, .wp4, or .wp3; however, all these files including wpd files can be opened using a version of WordPerfect application that is equal to that of the software which created it. It can also be opened in a later version.
Those who do not have the WordPerfect software, can refer to the following ways of opening a wpd file.
Ways to Open a WPD File
Rename the WPD file to the .DOC extension and open it in Word. This won’t work if you use the .DOCX extension. After renaming the extension, you can open it in any version of Microsoft Word, 2003 onwards.
If you have received the WPD file through email, you can directly save it in the Microsoft Word format. For instance, if you use Microsoft Outlook, then you can save the file by right-clicking on the attachment and clicking the Save As option to save it in the .DOC format.
- Click on Microsoft Word to open the program.
- Go to the File Menu and Select Open. In the Files Type, click on (*.*) to view all files.
- Browse for the file and select OK.
- The file will automatically open in Word format after it’s converted.
- Select the file and right-click on it. Choose the option Open With.
- Select Choose Default Program and choose Microsoft Word from the list. Then check the option that says Always use the selected program to open this kind of file.
- Click on OK. The WPD file will always open in Word.
You can use Corel’s free software ‘WordPerfect Lightning’ or download ‘LibreOffice’ to view the file easily.
- Download the ‘AbiWord’ software for free from the AbiSource website.
- Double-click the program to open it. Select Open from the File Menu and choose the WPD file to open it.
Since Android devices do not support WordPerfect, a converter is the best option to go for when viewing a WPD file. Just use Zamzar or BIDG WordPerfect Document Converter to convert the file into your native word-processing format.
Using the aforementioned ways, you can now open a WPD file on three different platforms.