The Internet has become a global marketplace of sorts, and this article will tell you about what are the best selling online products. You will come across some fairly strange items on the web, but there are a few that sell like hot cakes.
When we speak of the best selling products, it is important to remember that not all of these can fetch you large amounts of money. By studying most online shopping trends and auction sites, you will find that books and DVDs are probably the bestsellers, but the chance to make a lot of money through these is virtually impossible. The reason for this is that the buyer may have limited choices for these when he is searching for it online, so he would rather go to a bookstore or a music store and pick out a new item of his choice. He ends up spending a few extra dollars but for him it is worth it. Why then, are these items still the most selling products on the web? Simply because they are easy to sell and ship. And no matter how illogical it is to carry out Internet shopping sometimes, there will always be a buyer. The volumes are extremely large doubtlessly, but the revenues are minimal.
List of Top Selling Products
Here are some of the most popular items that regularly change hands over the Internet. The buyers get these things to sell online cheaper than they would in the market, but the disadvantage is that there are no assurances about the quality and the state of the item in question.
- Books and magazines
- Computer hardware
- Computer software
- Apparel and designer clothes
- Video games and toys
- Cosmetics and health-related items
- Consumer electronics
- Music DVDs and CDs
- Jewelry items
- Office supplies and equipment
- Home decorating items and linen
- Sporting goods and items
- Shoes and footwear
- Small electronic appliances
- Tools and garden items
- Gifts and other items
If you wish to make some easy money over the Internet, or are simply interested in making some trades for the sake of it through online auctions, you should certainly consider dealing with the stuff mentioned here along with a few more.
Here are some interesting points and numbers.
- Total sales of all online trading was close to USD 3 billion for the year 2009.
- Books, music, software and videos comprised about 26% of this total. This roughly means that these items fetched around USD 710 million.
- Travel reservations, car bookings, airline tickets and hotel reservations comprised 21% of this total. Total sales were around USD 580 million.
- Computer related hardware and software, consumer electronics and office supplies sold about USD 450 million, and comprised 16% of total sales.
- Shoes, clothes, home decorations and jewelry got sold for around USD 350 million and comprised about 13% of total sales.
- Food and beverages and health products constituted about 8% of total sales, and their overall transactions were around USD 220 million.
- Sporting goods, video games and toys comprised 7% of the total and were sold for about USD 200 million.
- Other items like furniture, tools and small appliances were sold for about USD 95 million, and this made up approximately 3% of total online sales.
Now, if you’re looking to increase your volume of sales over the Internet, then, you need to offer something that either fits into one of these categories, or you need to offer something that is completely original and ingenious. If you can manage to offer something that is useful, economical, and not available at any retail stores, you can be assured of tremendous amounts of volume. Simply knowing how to sell stuff on the web is not enough. You need to find your niche, and then attack it by ensuring that everyone knows about your product and its availability.
Marketing the top selling items is not a difficult task, and the Internet is a great place for people to spread positive word of mouth. If even a single person is satisfied with what you are offering, and offers his/her approval, it will benefit you greatly. With a little bit of analysis, you can achieve success at a fairly rapid rate.
From a buyers point of view, all these high selling items are easily available, and you can purchase them at your convenience. The Internet has truly changed the face of trade, and it has made the process easier for many people. So, the next time you are in need of buying something, do give these components a second thought.