Laptop computers have become very popular in today's world, as they offer compactness, coupled with mobility, which is important for professionals all over the world. This way, they can, literally take their office with them wherever they go.
Laptops can, of course, be purchased brand new from the manufacturer. However, there are other ways which can help save some money.
Factory Refurbished Laptops
Sometimes new laptops are returned to the manufacturer due to some minor problems, such as a dent in the case or problems with the screen. Sometimes, they are identified during the various stages of examination itself. They are then fixed and re-checked by the manufacturer. The hard disk is formatted and the operating system is reloaded. The laptop is used for about 4 to 5 hours, to check if it is working properly. Finally, a new serial number is fixed onto it to mark it as a factory refurbished product. These are then sold by the manufacturers themselves at a reduced cost.
Refurbished Used Laptops
Sometimes, laptops used for some time by a user are sold off. This can be for various reasons, often because the user wanted to upgrade to the latest version available in the market. It can then be fitted with upgraded parts and sold for a less price. They can be as good as a latest version.
However, while buying such a laptop one must make sure of two things: the number of users it has had, and the date of its first purchase. These two things are very useful because the number of users will help you determine the type of use that it has been subjected to. It has been seen that most buyers prefer the ones which have been used by women. The second thing is the date of purchase, because hardware becomes obsolete in about 5 years time. So, unless it contains refurbished hardware parts, one should purchase a device which is not more than 2 to 3 years old.
Custom Refurbished Laptops
These are the ones that are repaired and reassembled, so that they match customer requirements and preferences. This means a buyer can specify what he wants and the laptop will be refurbished accordingly. Here, a buyer can specify things such as screen size, processor speed, multimedia requirements, hard drive and RAM capacity, etc.
There are many advantages of buying a refurbished laptop computer.
- Reduced Cost: You get a laptop at a reduced cost, around 30% less than the price of a new one.
- High Quality: Refurbished laptops are subjected to high level performance standards tests at the factories, before they are sent out to be sold. Thus, you are assured of a high quality product.
- Discounts: Often, they are offered at discounted prices for students, senior citizens, military personnel, etc.
- Warranty Advantage: Many times, they come with a longer warranty period - normal warranties last for 1 year, while these come with a warranty period which can be extended to up to 3 years.
Before your Purchase
There are a few things one must keep in mind before one buys a refurbished laptop computer.
- As mentioned before, one must check the date of first purchase, to know how old the hardware parts are - one does not want to end up with a device full of almost obsolete parts, which can be difficult to repair or replace.
- Another thing which is mentioned before is to find out how many users it has had before one buys it. A laptop which has had more than 2 users will probably not do you much good. The condition is very important, as you have to get the same kind of performance capability as from a new device.
- Make sure that you purchase it from the country where you are staying. This way, you can reach the dealer when you want, without much hassle.
- Look around till you find a good price while ensuring quality.
- Last, but most important, make sure that it comes with a warranty. If the manufacturer's warranty has expired, then the vendor should be giving one. Thus, if any problem arises, you can at least approach the vendor for help, repairs, and replacements.
A refurbished laptop computer is thus a boon for those of us on a budget. It is also the best choice for those users who are just starting out with using these devices.