Editing PDF files directly is usually a tricky job. Nowadays, however, there are a wide variety of tools and techniques which one can use to easily add text to these files. Let us study each of them in detail.
Unless your PDF file is written with a Times New Roman or Arial font, it is best to use a desktop PDF editor as these programs contain all the fonts available on your computer. But on the other hand, online editors usually do not possess such a wide range, which may cause problems while making changes in the text of the original document.
With the development of modern computer applications, it has become fairly easy to change or add text to a PDF file. This is especially true if you want to add annotations to blank spaces or the margins of the page. Adding text in the middle of the document’s body or in documents that have columns or complicated formatting needs more care, as any changes can completely spoil the alignment of the text.
Sites such as PDFEscape, PDFZen, or desktop versions, such as PDF24 Creator and PDFEdit are among the most widely used resources for doing such work. Let us now learn how to add text to a PDF file with these tools.
Using Online PDF Editors
- Websites such as PDFEscape, PDFZen, and PDF Buddy provide free editing programs which help you to complete the process without downloading any software. Upload your PDF file to this editor by pressing the upload button.
- Select the ‘Text’ tool and click on the area of the document where you want to add text. Now, type in whatever information you need.
- You can also use the editor to erase text, add notes, and create forms. However, these editors are equipped only for simple tasks and cannot make any changes to the layout of the document.
- After you have made the required changes, click on the download button to save the new PDF file to your computer. The best part of these online services is that you do not need to register or create accounts for their use, and can process your document directly. This method can be used to add text to a PDF form.
Using Desktop Editors
- First, download a free PDF editing software such as PDF24 Creator, PDFEdit or Free PDF Editor. These programs can perform all the functions of an online editor and can also perform processes such as splitting or merging files to add text without erasing original text.
- Start the PDF editor and click on the open option to load the PDF file that has to be changed.
- Select the ‘Text’ tool and click the area where you want to add the changes. Typing in the new text is similar to operating any word processor.
- Click the ‘New’ option. You can split the document by left clicking on the page and dragging it to the new document. This will help you to add the text without losing out on the formatting. Alternately, you can merge two documents by dragging the page of one document to the end of the other.
Macintosh computers view PDF files in ‘Preview’ application of the OS X operating system. The annotation tools in this application allow you to add text directly into such documents. Let us see how this is done.
- In the Finder, go to the location of the PDF file. Control-click the file and choose the open with ‘Preview’ option.
- In the tool-bar of the Preview application, select the ‘ Annotate option.
- Click on the ‘Text’ tool.
- Use the cursor to draw a text box, and type inside it.
- Select the text. Now you can make changes to its appearance.
- Set the typeface by selecting the ‘Aa’ option on the tool-bar. This will enable you to change the font size and style in the text.
- To change the color of the text, on the option ‘Text Color’.
- Exit the open windows. The document will now display the new settings.
- Install the iSkysoft Mac Edit Tool on your computer, turn on the program and import all the PDF files that need to be edited.
- Choose the ‘Tools’ option and click on the text that you want to edit.
- Right clicking on text will help you to change the properties of the text.
- You can also use this tool to create forms on a Mac. You can also use this tool to add hyperlinks and images to the document.
In a Word Processor
- Open and launch the word processor.
- Click on the ‘Open’ option and import the PDF file.
- Now click on Edit mode to make changes in the PDF file.
- Convert the PDF to Other .doc formats if you need to change it into a Word or Excel file.
- Save the changes and exit. Your new PDF file is now ready.
In Adobe Acrobat 9
Adobe Reader does not have any facility to make changes in PDF files by default. In order to make changes to a PDF file in Adobe Reader, you need licenses to Adobe Acrobat extensions.
- In Adobe Acrobat, the tools menu, highlight the ‘Typewriter’ option and select the ‘Show Typewriter Toolbar’.
- On the toolbar, click on the ‘Typewriter’ button. Now click in the area where you want to type the new text.
- Type in all the information you need. Press Enter if you want to move onto a new line.
- Now use the options on the toolbar to change the properties of the text.
- Save the document and exit.
You can use the same procedure to change PDF files in Adobe Acrobat Pro as well.
It is important to note that these features are only available when the user rights are enabled on the PDF file by the author. So the above instructions should help you to make changes to the previously troublesome PDF files easily, and save you a lot of time and effort. Best of Luck!