Don’t know what to do with the video games that you’re done playing with? Don’t lock them away in your closets, they can fetch you money or gift cards to buy new games if you sell them online! Techspirited gives you a list of best places to buy and sell used video games online.
“Every maker of video games knows something that the makers of curriculum don’t seem to understand. You’ll never see a video game being advertised as being easy. Kids who do not like school will tell you it’s not because it’s too hard. It’s because it’s–boring.”
― Seymour Papert
You mention video games, and you’ll observe sheer delight on anyone’s face today! Yes, the new generation is obsessed with video games, and we are unapologetic about it. We love them and flaunt them, don’t we? Your neighbor has got a new video game? You’ll rush over to check it! Sadly enough, everything comes at a price, and so do video games. One of the biggest problems is what to do with your used video games? Once you’re done with them, cracked all the levels (and now the ‘law of diminishing returns’ seeps in), the CDs keeps lying in your closet, waiting to be played on your screens again. Instead, why not make some bucks by selling off your used games?
The market for ‘used’ games is really huge, and you’ll find many websites that sell your old game for a handsome price. And if you’re running low on cash, one of the best options is to buy an used game. It’s a win-win situation for both parties involved―the buyer and the seller―which will ensure that your games have some ‘scrap’ value. What better option than selling them online, where there are a plethora of buyers and sellers available, all this sitting comfortably on your couch.
While ‘Amazon’ and ‘eBay’ are the most obvious and popular sites that are highly rated and reliable to trade used video games (both buy and sell), we give you a list of other sites that are equally good to buy and sell video games at affordable prices. Identify your console, and get set go.
They have various schemes and coupons available, easy visibility, and payment options. Very popular, yet, does have some customer issues.
Their website has different trade values to offer. They also mention various gift cards and special offers, which can be of great benefit. Before selling, you can check their trade values, to get a brief overview of whether they match your expectations.
Suggestion: It is preferable for store credit, i.e. trade your old game for a new one!
Game Over Video Games
Website: Game Over Video Games
- The games might seem a little pricey, but most consumers say it’s totally worth it! Plus, they believe in maintaining even the old games.
- They have a huge collection of games, and it can be said that it is highly unlikely that you won’t find the game you were looking for.
- According to their website, you can return defective items within 14 days of receipt. However, they do not refund cash, and you’ll be provided with a credit note.
- They offer good, comparable prices and are very particular about the quality of the product.
- According to the terms and conditions mentioned on their website, you can, at any given time, trade only 2 identical copies, any more will not be paid for.
Suggestion: They have a plethora of awards to boast of, and have been awarded “Best Video Game Store” in Austin for 2014, and ranked number 1 by Houston Press. Though a little pricey, it is totally worth it if you have a fetish for vintage games.
- They have good customer service, and according to their website, if you’re not satisfied, you can return the game within 48 hours.
- You can also set a price alert―you can quote your price, and once that game reaches that price limit, you’ll be informed about the same.
- Many customers claim that their process is relatively simple.
According to their website, They will pay you the market price, and payment is received a day after it is received from the buyer.
Suggestion: Relatively hassle-free, recommended if you want to get your trading done quickly. However, on the flip side, you cannot make payment through PayPal
- Buying is convenient, and hassle-free, much like eBay and Amazon.
- Yet, compare the price quoted by the seller, to check whether it is reasonable.
Much similar to the functioning of eBay, this is a really popular site to sell your video game if you don’t want to wait for a price quoted by the company.
Suggestion: craigslist will be good for earning some cash depending on your quoted price and choice.
You will get different selling offers, some are available without shipping costs.
Good for selling your video games in return for a Best Buy gift card, but compare the sale prices to check whether the trade off is worth it.
Suggestion: They offer good prices, yet, payment is in the form of a gift card, thus, not useful when you need liquid money.
- Their website mentions of a return policy of 30 days or a refund, and they ship to over 33 countries worldwide.
- They also accept PayPal and credit card payments.
The company will give you the price quote. Not recommended if you want to sell at your own price.
Suggestion: The overall ratings of customers for the product quality and delivery are satisfactory, barring a few negative experiences.
Things to Consider
Buying used video games:
- Like the seller, do some research to compare prices. Of course, do not rely only on those websites that are selling at unbelievable prices.
- Online transactions need to be secure. So, do some homework before using your credit card, and do check the safety and security of the website.
- Do not write off any portal only because you have noticed a few negative reviews about it. The best option is to start with a small buy, to check their performance and reliability.
- Check the site’s terms and conditions―delivery period, return policy, guarantee period, payment terms, discounts and offers available, modes of payment, etc.
- After you receive the game, check immediately for packaging and authenticity.
Selling your used video games:
- Compare with various platforms, and check the prices that other sellers are offering. Take extra efforts to research about them.
- Check the payment policy of the company, through which you’re selling your video game.
- Your price will differ according to the compatibility and version of the game. Obviously, popular and latest games are likely to fetch you more money.
- Do not throw away old games, who knows, there might be someone out there who is still craving to enjoy ‘Prince of Persia’!
If you intend to sell your video game, first identify the purpose. If you’re looking for a trade-off, it is best to sell them at gaming websites. However, ensure that the credit they provide is reasonable. If you want to sell the game for money, it is best to sell it on eBay, Amazon, or craigslist, where you can judge the prices. Similarly, if you’re a buyer, and have old games at your disposal, it would be wise to use trade-off websites.