It is not that difficult to find a good wireless router for the purpose of gaming, since there are so many great choices available in the market. These are extremely…
Best Dual Band Router
This article will tell you all that you need to know about dual band routers. Consider your requirements and usage purposes carefully before you make a purchase, because the connectivity of your devices depends on this.
Making use of a dual band router in your home or your office will grant you with excellent levels of wireless connectivity, and you can use this connection on a lot of devices to access the Internet. A wireless router comes with a predetermined range, and any device that falls within that range can access the network, as long as they have the access key.
Routers have become very important devices in many different situations, since they allow multiple devices to connect to the network simultaneously through wireless networking. This affects bandwidth speed to a certain extent, but its utility is undoubted. Moreover, one can access the said network without sitting near the router or connecting a wire to it, as long as the device to be connected is within the specified range. Buying a router though, is no simple task. This is because of the different types of it that are available, and one such complex type is the dual band router.
What is a Dual Band Router?
Before we get into details, it is important to understand what they are exactly, and how they work. These primarily work on two frequencies―2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz. Dual band routers are devices that operate on both these frequencies, thus giving the user more flexibility. Moreover, the 5.0 GHz frequency is less cluttered because simple home appliances also function on the 2.4 GHz frequency. So the advantage of using it is that you get less clutter in the network, and this has many advantages. However, one thing you must know is that this frequency is not faster than the 2.4 GHz frequency.
The wireless standard that operates in the world is known as the 802.11 standard, and there are 4 different variations of this. You have the 802.11/b and the 802.11/g that are single band routers that function on the 2.4 GHz frequency. Then there is the 802.11/a standard that functions on the 5.0 GHz frequency, and lastly there is the 802.11/n standard router functions on both the frequencies, which we are speaking of here.
Top Dual Band Routers
These are handy for people who carry out online gaming and file streaming. The reason for this is that when the device finds the 2.4 GHz frequency getting cluttered, it shifts over to the 5.0 GHz frequency and thus maintains its speed. Note that it does not provide a higher speed, it simply prevents the utilization of lower speed due to clutter. With that in mind, here are some of the best wireless routers that you can buy today. Buying one with USB ports and Ethernet ports is also highly advisable.
- Apple AirPort Extreme Base Station 802.11/n
- Asus RT-N11 EZ Wireless-N Router
- Belkin Wireless Play Max Router
- Cisco Linksys E2000 Advanced Wireless-N
- Cisco Linksys E3000 High Performance Wireless N Router
- Cisco Valet Plus
- D-Link DIR-685 Xtreme N Storage Router
- D-Link DIR-825 Xtreme N Dual Band Gigabit
- D-Link Xtreme N Duo Media Router
- Linksys Ultra RangePlus Wireless-N Router
- Netgear RangeMax Wireless-N Gigabit Router WNR3500
The prices of these routers depend on a lot of factors, but they are naturally costlier than ones with a single band. It is important to pick a device based on your needs and your projected usage of wireless Internet access, so that you never fall short of bandwidth and do not have to face slow speeds. Some factors that you need to take into consideration before picking the best dual band wireless router are as follows.
- Consider your needs. If you are going to be playing games online or streaming files, then you need a router for gaming.
- Inform yourself about the standards of the devices that you are going to be connecting. A 802.11/b/g device is not going to run on a dual band router.
- If you are using an Apple product, consider getting an Apple AirPort Base Station for this purpose.
- Buy a router that offers connectivity in the range that you know you are going to be using your devices. Preferably, get ones with as much range as possible.
- Get routers that offer greater network security features. This includes Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA), WPA2 and Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP) security standards.
Picking the best simultaneous dual band router is not an easy task, and a considerable amount of research needs to be conducted before you make a purchase.