The term WPA stands for Wi-Fi Protected Access. WPA key for PS3 is a 8-63 character long sequence of hexadecimal characters. It is used to encrypt communication from your PS3 to the Internet server. Because of the encrypted data, any person who is trying to intercept your messages faces difficulty in grabbing your sensitive data such as a password.
The purpose this key is to prevent any person from using your Internet account as well as using your email account for doing something malicious on the net. It may be that he is not going to send any offending emails to some other person and only wants to download copyrighted material via your account, free of cost.
Whatever his intentions are, his handiwork will be traced to you because of the use of your account and password during the process. Your PS3 comes with an internal network card and you need not spend money on the adapter to go online or to play online games. You need to supply SSID and WEP or WPA key to access a secure wireless network.
To find SSID and WPA key, check whether it is printed on or is supplied with the router or the modem you are using. If it is not available, launch your web browser program (Internet Explorer or Firefox) and try inputting the following values in its address bar.
Before starting to find the key, you may have to connect it to the routers or modem by using an Ethernet wire.
Normally, wireless routers and modems in use are identified with these values (IP addresses). When the entered value proves to be right, it will let you access internal settings of your wireless modem or router.
- When prompted for username and password input 'admin' and 'password'.
- If this does not work, then next time leave the password field blank and enter 'admin' for username.
- In practice, this approach may completely fail and you may have to refer to the manual supplied with the router or modem to reset your device.
- If the approach works, you will find username and password fields completed, in the next window that appears. Click on OK button, which will take you to 'Settings' page.
- Locate and click on the tab labeled as 'Security' or ' Wireless Security'. It should display WPA key.
- Supply it when you are asked for it while accessing the Internet.
- You may think of change and increase the strength of this key to secure your information or password.
- Test the connection in the Internet Connection Settings tab or option which will let you test the Internet access on your PS3.
WPA key lets you enjoy your presence on the Internet whether you want to just surf on it or want to judge how good other PS3 users are as opponents by playing online games against them. It is also worth knowing that a dial-up Internet connection is not supported by PS3.
You must either have a high-speed broadband Internet connection or wireless Internet access. All in all, remember that a WPA key is a great tool to protect the sanctity of your internet present untarnished and it has the potential of keeping you out of trouble because of someone's dirty work. Best of luck and happy playing!