There are many people who start their day by switching on their TV sets to catch up with the latest news and other entertainment programs. When these people are out on a camping trip, they feel lost because they cannot watch their favorite TV channels.
There is a solution to this problem in the form of a portable satellite TV, which you can carry wherever you go, and install them with minimum delay.
These are the best TV sets for cars or Recreational Vehicles (RV). After making proper wire connections that are necessary, you can start using it and enjoying the programs that you find interesting. There are many satellite network service providers, which you can choose from.
You can obtain services of any provider, after you compare the satellite TV subscription fees that are charged by them. Choosing this provider is an important step, as it will decide what kind of satellite dish antenna and digital satellite receiver that you will have to buy, to avail the service without any hassle.
Buying electronic devices that are compatible with your satellite dish network service provider is a must. A satellite dish antenna folds easily, comes with a compass and a stand; this equipment can also be purchased from an RV supply store. It saves space and is easy to carry.
Since you are going to set up this electronic equipment in the outdoors for the lack of cable TV connection, which may happen when you are out camping, on a climbing expedition, or on a road trip in an RV, you must come up with a reliable power source for it. In this case, there are a few option.
A car battery, inverter, or generator can easily fulfill your power requirements. If you are depending on your car battery to power up your device, then, you must invest in a power inverter. It hooks up to a car battery, and converts the direct current received by it to an alternating current, which is used by this device.
On the other hand, if you intend to watch many TV channels using this device for more than 2-4 hours at a stretch, then a generator can prove to be more durable and a reliable source of power. You can replenish the fuel for the generator anytime, and continue with your task.
There are a few more additional accessories, which you must invest in, such as a coaxial cable; S-Video or RCA cable, a stand for the dish antenna, power strip, heavy duty extension cord, etc. It is very essential that you choose a TV set that is very efficient according to energy consumption, such as an LCD TV, or those used for computers.
While buying all the required equipment to set up a portable satellite TV, you must have an idea where you are most likely to use it. It can be set up anywhere; however, trees, buildings, or a nearby mountain in the vicinity of the site is going to affect the quality of the satellite signals that are received.
The following steps will help you:
- Get established on a site and mount the dish antenna on a stand, tripod, or on top of your vehicle. Make sure that there is noting in between the dish and the southern sky. The dish angle must be between 30-60 degrees for clear signal reception.
- From the satellite feed of the dish, connect the coaxial cable to the "satellite in" port on the receiver.
- Connect the power cable to the source of electrical power that you are using.
- Connect the TV and the receiver to the power supply. If it is a generator that you are using, place it comfortably distant so as not to get disturbed by its noise and fumes.
- After ensuring that the setup is as it should be wired, connect the TV to the satellite receiver using RCA connectors.
- Power on all the equipment and tune the TV to see "on screen setup window" on its screen. If it is searching for the satellite signals, then select the "Menu" button on the remote, followed by selecting the "setup option".
- Proceed, as it is mentioned in the user manual, to go through options that are presented on the screen.
- Wait till the satellite signal strength is strong (about 80 percent), which you can understand by watching the "signal meter", or by the loud beeping sounds made by the TV, and then select the channel that you want to watch.
- If you have any doubt regarding how to make any of these connections, please refer to the manual that comes with the system or call customer care of your provider to make sure everything is alright.