Ever since the advent of Facebook, life has become a lot more enjoyable for some and a lot more complicated for some. However, no one can deny the popularity and the advantages that this social networking site has provided millions across the world with. Constant upgrades, along with the introduction of brand new features altogether are some of the most important features that have made Facebook a hugely successful and adored social networking site. Facebook chat is one of the features that is well liked by almost all its users. This Techspirited article is for all the newbies who need to know how it works. It has simple instructions that anyone can follow.
Basics of Facebook Chat
Facebook chat works like most other Instant Messengers (IMs). Technically speaking, it makes use of a technology called AJAX, which is a method of web development that helps to create interactive web applications, specially ones that are live, without constant refreshing of the web page. Practically speaking, this segment of the article, will give you a breakdown of all the things that you need to know about how Facebook chat works, and what are the things that you can do to enhance your Facebook chat experience.
- First and foremost, in order to use Facebook chat, you need to have a Facebook account. For this, all you have to do is log on to Facebook, fill in the details that it asks you for and simply click on the sign up tab.
- After you have created an account, you can add as many friends as you want, by entering names in the search tab that appears on the top of your page.
- Once people accept your friend request, they automatically get added onto your chat list.
- The bottom right corner of every page within your account has the chat tab available. Click on this tab, and you will get a pop up of all of your friends that are online. You will notice a small green dot against all the friends that are online, half a moon against names of friends who are online but away at the moment, and a gray dot against those who are offline.
- Now, if you want to initiate a chat with your friend, you must simply click on their name and a chat window will open with a blinking cursor, just like any other IM, prompting you to enter your message.
- You type out your message here and click enter. When you do this, the message will pop up at the page of the person you pinged. When he or she replies, you will get it instantly and the chat continues.
- In the pop up, you will also notice two other tabs. One says 'options' and the other says 'friend list'. You can use the options tab to alter the settings whenever you want to. The friend list tab gives you the option of selecting and allowing only specific friend lists to chat with you, according to the lists that you make when you send and accept friend requests.
- You can chat with multiple friends at the same time using Facebook chat. However, it does not have the option of group chats, yet. Let's hope it happens soon!
- You can also make use of some really cool smileys and emoticons too.
Facebook chat is usable not only when you're logged on through your desktop or laptop. There are several mobile phones that have the option to download the application as well. So if you have one of them, get the application and you too can benefit by being online and in touch with all your friends all the time! Happy chatting!