Graphic design is an art of visualizing ideas. Many types of visual communication like newsletters, logos, brochures, posters, etc., are its result. It uses typography and various skills to pool in ideas in a graphical form.
Since old times, people want to deliver their ideas and concepts in the form of graphics, so that the information is aligned and has clarity. Printers and artists are used for this purpose. Later, the term was coined for the profession of bringing a structural form to the information, which is used for effective communication.
In this type, images are used to represent the meaning of the information. Images not only convey things, but also help to understand the mood of the situation in a better way. They can be paintings, photographs, or pictures, which are rendered graphically, etc., but they should be relevant to the information. People can understand things and respond immediately if the message is conveyed through images.
Some designers rely on words rather than images. Typography and calligraphy is used to attract and arrest the readers to certain posters. A simple page containing some text with no alignment and clarity can be converted into an attractive design by changing type size, font, dividing the page into two columns, increasing space width, using different forms of calligraphy, etc.
Image and type-based
This method contains both images and text, which are used to explore the ideas of the service providers. It is important to maintain a perfect balance between the text and images.
Symbols and logotype
Symbols are the ideal and concrete form of information which compresses the ideas and helps in better understanding of the people. The logos, sometimes combined with symbols, represent the functionalities of the specific industry. The designer should have a better idea about the company before creating any idea.
Principles To Be Followed
There are certain principles to be followed which are given below.
- While creating designs on the web, file size is the important consideration. 30 seconds are appropriate for page download time.
- Certain systems show the images darker than the designing part. Hence, this should be considered before design.
- Images should be in the RGB color mode, not in the index color mode. This prevents the loss of data or colors.
- While creating images, use colors which are applicable to the browser. Use of other colors will lead to unexpected results.
- Thumbnails allow the user to provide an option in choosing the pictures. Since thumbnails can be easily loaded, it should be attached with the images.
- While referencing the image, height and width tags are necessary so that the pages can be loaded fast.
- While using photoshop to design images, the image should be saved in the psd format rather than the jpeg format. This helps to apply any changes in the future.
Owing to its variety of usage, it is used in the field of advertisement, administration, journals, web applications, education, etc.