Most of us use desktop computers, laptops, and other such touchscreen devices. In such devices, the screen plays a very important role in giving a clear visual of the matter. Along with protecting the body of these devices, you also need to take care of the screen and maintain it. If dirty, it reduces the clarity of display. Another reason why users might not be able to view the displayed matter clearly is because of the glare that falls on the screen. To resolve this issue, the best bet is to use an anti-glare film for contributing to the comfort of the eyes.
What is an Anti-glare Film?
As the name suggests, it is a coating that is to be applied on the screen, for reducing most of the glare reflecting off the surface. This film can be made out of various materials, such as plastic, liquid crystal filter, besides others. These products are also sometimes known as matte finish films. They are mostly used by people who largely work on bright-colored computer backgrounds, such as text documents and spreadsheets.
Remember that the amount of light being absorbed by these anti-reflective protectors largely depend on the quality and type of material used. Some of these films consist of a rough and irregular polarizing film, due to which the light rays from the surrounding reflect in a scattered manner. This is how the screen glare is reduced. These kinds of films can even be factory-installed, in computer monitors produced today. Along with reducing the glare from the surface, these anti-glare screens also do the job of protecting it from scratches, dust, dirt, and fingerprints.
It is recommended to choose the one with an appropriate refractive index. This relates to how much light the film allows to pass through. Some anti-reflective films are suitable to be applied on touchscreens, whereas others are most appropriate on larger non-touch screens. If you want a good film for your iPad and other touchscreen monitors, you can go in for those from RadTech ClearCal, NuShield DayVue, and Power Support. Given below are steps for the application of an anti-glare film:
- The very first thing that you would need to do is to clean it with an anti-static glass cleaner.
- After that, remove the paper cover off the film.
- When putting the film on the screen, make sure that there is no dust in the surrounding.
- It is now suggested to start placing the film on the screen from the top left-hand corner.
- As you keep placing the film, press it using the smoothing tool from the package, in order to prevent any bubbles.
- If you see any bubbles being formed between the coating and the screen surface, you will have to remove the film and reapply it.
- After you have applied the film on the monitor, don't use an ammonium-based window cleaner on the surface for cleaning. Instead, it is suggested to use a smooth cotton cloth for cleaning the surface.
- In case you want to reposition the film on the screen after using it for some time, you will have to remove it completely and put on a new one.
Anti-glare films surely reduce brightness of screens, thus, providing comfort to the user's eyes. It essentially prevents the possibilities of headaches and eye strain, caused due to increased brightness from computer monitors. If you do not want to use an anti-glare film, but still want to reduce the glare, a good option is to keep the screen at a place which is not below or near a light source.