The present global age is the consequence of the computer age. A computer is an electronic device that stores and processes data, according to a list of instructions. It allows a user to manipulate data very easily. The speed of performance of a computer is incomparable. The computer and Internet have affected our way of learning, working, storing information, communicating, playing, and also writing. In fact, computers are used in every sphere of life today.
Advantages of Computers: Explained
Because of the several computer advantages, it has become an important household item. Be it office, home, or school, it has become an indispensable device for us. A computer operated by an individual without any specific computer operator is called a personal computer (PC). A PC can be a desktop or a laptop computer, and can be used at home or at office. As per the requirement of the user, software is installed in a PC.
One can write more effectively by means of a computer. A computer allows the user to create documents, edit, print, and store them so that they can be retrieved later.
- There are tools like spelling and grammar checker, thesaurus and dictionary, installed in the computer. Thus, it takes less time to proofread a written document
- Also, there is no need to open up a dictionary book to look for meanings of words.
- Typing is much faster than writing on a paper.
- If there is a need for reorganizing the sentences or paragraphs, one can cut and paste and make the necessary changes.
Using a computer, one can remain connected to the world through the Internet. Internet is a network of computers that communicate via the Internet Protocol Suite (TCP/IP).
- The World Wide Web (WWW) or simply web is a huge resource of information that can be accessed via the Internet.
- To mention a few of the resources, there are electronic mail (e-mail), file transferring and sharing, online chat, and gaming. The Internet allows people from around the world to share knowledge, ideas, and experiences in any field.
- E-mail is a method of communication used globally, between friends, colleagues, business partners, and so on. The electronic mail is provided with a system of creating, storing, and forwarding mails.
- It may consist of text messages with attachments of audio-visual clips. One can also download or upload files using the Internet.
- There are also facilities like online chatting available on the Internet. As compared to telephonic conversation, both e-mail and online chat are cost saving.
- Online gaming is another important resource of the WWW. Many online games are available, which are of common interest for any age group.
Right from banking to investment, a user can accomplish the task by sitting within the comfort zone of his/her home.
- With this, one no longer needs to stand in the line for money withdrawing, depositing, or conducting other transactions. The same facility is available for making investments.
- In addition, one can read current news, check weather conditions, plan vacations, and make hotel and travel reservations, find out about diseases and treatment methods, learn about specific countries and their cultures, seek jobs, etc. over the Internet.
- If a computer has Internet connection facility, one can shop and that too in discounted rates. The purchased products will be delivered to the provided address, thus saving both time and money.
Nowadays, computers are widely used for education and training purposes.
- In schools, computer education has been made compulsory to spread awareness about computers. As a matter of fact, computers have become a learning tool for children.
- Indeed, a student can use the PC as a storage system for many books. Also, there are many universities that provide online degrees, which are very advantageous for those people staying in remote areas and for the disabled. In fact, online education is one of the most flexible and convenient forms of learning.
- One can take the benefit of such online degree programs staying at home without the need of relocation. Computers are also used for training purposes. Many companies use them to train their staff.
However, in spite of the many advantages of computers, there are some disadvantages that cannot be ignored. First and foremost, sitting for long hours in front of the PC will affect one's eyes and hamper his activity level. The easy access to information via Internet has made students lazy in terms of their education since they are able to download information without exploring their topic of research.
They also use computers for mathematical tables and calculations without actually solving the problems. Also, it is important for parents to keep a check on the browsing habits of their children as some websites are not meant for their viewing. Other disadvantages include identity theft and virus threat. Computers viruses are harmful to the systems and can be transferred from one computer system to another.